Due to its unique shape, the Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter is an extremely efficient, high capacity biological filter. Aquatic organisms excrete toxic ammonia as a metabolic waste product, with additional ammonia produced as food and other organic matter breaks down and decomposes. This toxic ammonia (NH3) is converted into another toxic compound nitrite (NO2) by the Nitrosomonas species of bacteria. The nitrite is then converted to a relatively non toxic compound called nitrate (NO3) by the Nitrobacter species of bacteria. This process is known as nitrification. A biological filter is a vessel where nitrification occurs and soluble waste is removed. Beneficial bacteria attach to the media within the Lifegard Fluidized Bed Filter. creating a thin film around the sand grains. Water is pumped up through the unit, lifting the sand into a fluidized bed. The beneficial bacteria attached to the media draw in dissolved wastes (ammonia and nitrite) and oxygen supplied by exclusive water fall device and other required nutrients from the passing water converts them to relatively harmless nitrate. The sand grains are in continual free fall through the water, resulting in an excellent transfer capability between the liquid and the bacterial film on the media.
- Inlet ports on each side of the base for below tank installations. Use inlet ports on each side to connect multiple units together for any size installation.
- Innovative design creates more filter volume area for increased capacity. Flat side for snug fit to any aquarium or reservoir tank.
- Increases oxygen level by spreading out a thin sheet of gently falling water.
- Spring loaded clamp creates a snug fit to any aquarium or reservoir tank.
- Easy to view fluidization level at a glance.